Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Too Many Cooks ...

Two years ago I cooked alone. It was mostly bad, but it harmed no one. Last year was great, with Abhirup and Yogesh leading the way, while Deepesh and I followed the orders. At the end of the stay I did learn some cooking good enough to support myself.
In this trip, so far Rohit has taken up the culinary charges. He did pretty good for the whole group of 6-7 critical diners. After a few days, I felt I should contribute sometimes too. I decided to try preparing some aloo curry. What followed was commotion. I had in my mind some way of preparing it, and others had their own ideas. Keerthi and Supriya joined in too. Now we had too many ideas, and it was then that I wisely decided to retire and see Rohit & the girls fight it out ... "Put it into the microven, otherwise it will never get cooked", "Why are you taking it out so early, more heat is required" ,"That pan is too small", "Add some more spices"... Even Vishnu quipped in from time to time though he himself was clueless about cooking. In reality, the alternatives over which all the bickering was centered, didn't matter that much. However all the three cooks were adamant about their preferences. The final product was no where near from what I had in mind initially, but I did not mind. It wasn't very good, but was very eat-able.

There is one person in our group though, Adarsh, whom whenever we ask as to what he had for his meals, he always answers, "I cooked something", "I had something", but he never reveals what that something is, even on rigorous inquiring. This has led to a lot of speculations, including doubts over his status as an earthly being.

No comments:

Post a Comment