Friday, May 13, 2011

The others

One day when we were having our post dinner chat session, suddenly Vishnu noticed some movement between the grass and the streets in the dim lights outside, and we all came out to see some creature almost tiptoeing away in a hurried manner as if it had stolen something. This raccoon was followed by its comrade which seemed to be involved in the same crime. Sad I couldn't capture it in my camera....

The squirrels here are cat-sized, and they literally gallop. There are many of them around in the university. Rabbits are sighted relatively less frequently. So far, two bunnies have shown me their arse as they jumped away from me miscalculating the danger I posed for them.

Then there are birds. But they are angry birds. These are geese in their nesting period, and they are very suspicious about any passer-by's intentions regarding their eggs. Recently, while I was cycling to the university, one aimed straight for my head, without hint of any provocation from my side. I swerved my bike at the last moment to save myself. Besides they crap a lot, and make the streets green in the process. There are some less angry birds too, like a variety of small swallows and a red crested bird.

Yesterday while returning from the university, I met a beaver near the Columbia Lake. It was braver than the other animals I met so far. I initially thought it was an otter, but then it pleaded to be called a beaver. I wanted to see its dam, but instead it entered into a hole, and kept watching me. As I went closer, it lowered itself into the hole, gradually and very smoothly, as if it was standing on a platform which could be lowered mechanically. But all the while it had its eyes transfixed on me. The whiskers twitched from time to time. After some time, we decided to leave each other alone. I also saw another animal of some similar kind - it looked like a hybrid - I would call it a Squiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment