Sunday, June 5, 2011

Canoeing for Beginners

6 of us in 3 canoes took over the lake in the Laurel Creek Conservation Area. And we managed to do 2 hours without toppling. However, when I am around, how can others stay away from adventure.

Keerthi and I shared a canoe. The first misadventure was crashing into the dense foliage overhanging upon the water from an island as we tried to land there. We ducked into the canoe, thereby escaping scrapes. The second was getting our canoe stuck right on the cut tree trunk in the middle of the lake, and it took quite some time before we could make it move.
Afterwards, Keerthi put her hands in the water and was overjoyed at catching a fish. The fish turned out to be a leech and it was overjoyed too at getting an animal to suck blood from, without having to bargain for it. The unfortunate leech met its demise in my hands. And finally, while transferring my oar from one hand to the other, I somehow managed to harpoon it out of my hand into the water. Fortunately, it was wooden, and so stayed afloat, allowing me to collect it back.

In general, canoeing is kind of tricky, as it involves two people to row on the two sides of the boat with equal strength to make it go straight. This is true only in no wind, no flow condition. But such ideal situations are there only in school-level problems (I am reminded of 'Assume the cow to be spherical'). Not only were there winds and currents,  but they also changed direction with location and time. A trail of our canoe's route would have made a good maze. However gradually we got the hang of it, and I was quite impressed by Keerthi's efforts as she matched me stroke for stroke.
"Row, row, row your boat, 
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream."
Oar-A (read in Bengali :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment