Monday, July 18, 2011

Montreal: An Eternal Party - 2

We woke up late. But the hosts were still asleep when we left. Today our first destination was Basilique Notre-Dame. It is the beauty in the architecture and paintings that I like most about churches.


We walked down St. Laurent Boulevard and entered China Town. We came here to find one specific restaurant on Rue De La Gauchetiere, and it was special for its all-you-can-eat for 10 dollars. I am always in for variety and we couldn't have got a better offer. From the 30 odd non-veg preparations, I tried at least half of them. There was sea-food too including prawns, crabs and mussels (this time cooked). After 3 platefuls, I helped myself to a dish of desserts. And then we were too full to move.



We made the best of the 16$ 3-day all transportation ticket. On reaching Rue Saint Catherine, we found that the entire length of the street was lined with temporary stalls, with no traffic allowed. This is the arrangement for every Sunday.

Soon afterwards, Rajarshi had to return to Quebec, and I made my way to the foot of Mount Royal. Everyone had told me that I would be able to hear from the distance. And so I did. What sounded like a soft buzz from the kilometres away, gradually could be recognized as drum beats. This is known as the Tam-tams. Musical instruments of the drum family all over being played by drummers from a wide cultural background, but having one thing in common- they were all high on booze and drugs right in the open. There were many crazy dancers around as well.
The atmosphere was awesome, and when one guy left his drum to take some rest, I took over, and went with the beat with a lot of spirit. With 50 more drums being played around you, mistakes go unnoticed. What onlookers noted was my enthusiasm and effort. A group of girls who were dancing posed with me for photos.

After a short walk up the Mont Royal to another viewpoint, I was at a place where there were scores of raccoons coming out from the bushes and having food and water from tourists.

Montreal is also famous for it's gay village. The subway stop at Beaudry is the gateway to it. Lots of rainbows all over the place, and only a few couples of the other kind. After a dinner of Spaghetti and Smoked Meat, I returned to the bus station.
"A time will come when you can express yourself freely" (in French)

I have been to many cities around the world, but Montreal turned out to be very different. When I was in Toronto, I saw many people walking on the streets, mostly formally dressed up, and seemed kind of busy with themselves and distant. Here in Montreal, it is like a lifelong party. There are people merrymaking all over the place. The carefree attitude. There aren't too many notable points of tourist attraction in the physical sense or any natural beauty, but people come here to just let go and enjoy life. And they were so right about the food and the girls. Just can't get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment